Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Walmart and the Environment

Okay, this is just because I have to get it off my chest. I went to Walmart today and with 2 children, a huge diaper bag and coats for everyone, I managed to remember 1 of my reusable shopping bags. (My others are still at Zach's school from V-day.) Anyway, I pulled it out towards the end of her ringing things up and asked her to throw the last things in the bag. If you use these bags, you know they hold A LOT of groceries compared to those wimpy little plastic bags (that are creating their own island somewhere in the Pacific - really, I saw it on Planet Green). She managed to get a lot in there but when I looked at the Walmart wimpy bags she'd already packed, I had 3 bags. 1 contained a single loaf of bread. 1 had 2 shampoo bottles and some kid size hangers and 1 had some bananas. Now, if I'm trying to bring my own bags, don't you think you might try to consolidate the bananas and the loaf of bread - at least. I mean, really?!?!?! Help me out Walmart checkers! So taking 3 reusable bags is literally like saving 10 plastic bags. You know I would have walked out with 8 bags at least at the rate she was going. I had some heavy peanut butter that I'm sure should have had it's own bag! :) What's a "Mom-trying-to-save-the-environment-for-her-children" suppose to do?

2 comments:

The Skin Stacy's In said...

Jill - it's not just your WalMart! They do the same thing at ours and it drives me crazy! It must be some sort of policy. I tell the checker to load the bags up and the look at me with fear in their eyes - like they're going to get in trouble or something....it's weird.

Amanda Wells said...

I feel the same way and especially when the checker is young, I think "Don't you know better than putting my loaf of bread in it's own bag?"