Friday, February 13, 2009

Snow days - long overdue post

So this post is long overdue, see post on Appendectomy for reason why. :)

Well, one of the things I'm finding I truly miss about Colorado is the weather. For those of you not familiar with Denver weather, we get 300 days of sunshine - I believe it ties Southern California in number of sunny days. So even when it's freezing outside, the sun shines and the sky is a gorgeous clear blue - ah! Yes, it snows there, but typically it will melt on the streets within 24 hours or they have it cleaned up enough that they are clear. Every once in awhile there are big snows - like the 3 feet of snow we had in March of 2003 - everyone has story about where they were when that one happened. Stuck in my house for 3 days, but actually kind of fun when you don't have to be anywhere because everything is closed and I wasn't stranded at DIA like some people! Or the big 2 feet snow of December 2006 - but it happens once every couple of years. Anyway, I'm finding I miss the snow a lot. I love snow. Especially Colorado snow, because it tends to melt so quickly it doesn't even get that nasty brown sludge like you find in the Northeast and other places. Oh, and when they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity...that applies to the cold too. It's FREAKIN' cold here (Kansas) with the bitter wind and all. BURRRRRR!

We finally got some snow in Kansas and they actually shut down the schools. I realized quickly that a stay-at-home mom of a 3 year old and 4 month old doesn't really "get" a snow day. It was just another day stuck inside with little ones. I couldn't really take Zach out because I couldn't take Dylan out in the cold. We made the best of it though. As soon as Craig came home we got all bundled up and went out to make snowballs and struggle to pile some snow for a snowman - he didn't happen. The 2nd day was a little accumulation not just ice, so it was more fun. That day we made Craig stay home with Dylan when he came home for lunch and we headed to the overpass to sled.

I made fun of Craig when he would tell me how they would all sled at the overpass when he was growing up. Doesn't that just sound so typical of Kansas? No hills, so you have to go to the man made overpass hill to sled. Well, I will make fun no more. It was an awesome sledding hill. I packed Zach up and headed to the overpass. It gradually gets higher and steeper so it was perfect to start him out at the little end and work our way up to a longer hill. He loved it and was bummed that we had to go back to let Daddy go back to work. I even took a couple rides with him, wheee! I took some pics of the overpass and Zach bundled up. (Note: Bonus to having lived in Colorado and your husband work for a sporting goods store with a killer discount, you have awesome sledding clothes when you move to Kansas. I was so warm all decked out in my warm wicking long johns and all. I could have been there for hours.) The hill was kind of funny because the snow was so worn out that it really was becoming an ice slick and you could totally see the grass through the snow. Colorado would have considered it just a dusting of snow and maybe not even put on snow boots to go to work. :) I love seeing all the differences in all the places I've
lived over the years. I was just so use to Denver after 9 years that I took some things for granted. Enjoy the pics I took of our enjoyable snow day!

Zach in action on the hill...


Zach up to no-good, look how happy is to hit me with his snow ball - thank goodness that a) he doesn't know how to make a good snowball and b) the snow wasn't any good for packing.
The Overpass/Sledding Hill
Why are you taking pictures when we should be playing in the snow?

No Seriously, there's snow outside...

No comments: