Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas

We had a fabulous first Christmas in Kansas. We were able to see both sets of grandparents and both aunts and uncles, etc. Zach had a blast and truly enjoyed his first Christmas understanding Santa Claus. I still love how excited he gets that Santa actually eats the cookies and milk...of course he does. He needs all that energy to keep going through the night. This year we actually made cookies for Santa - unlike last year when I forgot and we had to give him the iced animal cookies I had on hand. Sorry Santa. This year we upgraded to cut and bake, maybe next year will actually make some from scratch - no promises, Santa.

Christmas Eve we spent at the Wards. My mom and dad went over for dinner and then left so we could rip into the presents! :) Zach was thrilled and Lilli just enjoyed the wrapping paper and boxes as every 10 month old should. We had a fabulous dinner and ham that Jason smoked. It was fabulous. I think next year he should consider taking a chance at becoming the Honey Baked Ham of Southeast Kansas. It was better than Honey Baked and I'm not just saying that so he'll make me more next year. Mom, Dad and I went to Christmas Eve services at 11pm as per our usual Smith family tradition. Craig "had" to stay home and "take an eye on Dylan and Zach" as Zach says. On our way home, Dad commented that it's hard every year to go and not think of going with our good friends the Arnetts. We miss you Paul! Dad even had a glass of wine in honor and I wanted to find some cashews because Paul always had cashews on Christmas Eve and Marty provided the Cheezits. Marty, I hope you had a good Christmas Eve and we were thinking of you. If Mom could have figured out texting we would have texted you a message!

We all got lots of great presents and were all spoiled as usual. We were able to have Ryan, Jen and the kids up from Tulsa to open presents and have dinner the day after Christmas. It was a treat since we've not been able to spend Christmas with them before now. My mom and dad were a huge help with the "big" fun, old-fashioned, family Christmas. I was a little stressed about preparing all the food and taking care of the little two and oh, dressing myself. The two of them stepped into my kitchen like pros and prepped everything for me. Whew. I still don't know how everyone does the meal prep and Christmas stuff. I'm sure that's why more alcohol is consumed around the holidays. Thanks to all those who've hosted me for holidays in the past, you obviously made it look easy. I think Ryan's kids had fun running around and playing hide and seek in our house. We still don't have the "right" toys for them but the treadmill entertained Sam. :)

Dylan enjoyed his first Christmas and I enjoyed dressing him in every Christmas outfit I had from when they were huge on Zach (only 3 weeks old for his 1st Christmas). Plus another sleeper I "had" to buy for Dylan. I just found myself thanking God for such a wonderful Christmas with everyone and especially our beautiful new baby. After the stress is over, I kind of miss Christmas and look forward to putting up the tree again next year. Probably because Craig does all the work of the decorating and I just get to hang the ornaments! :)

No comments: