Sunday, March 21, 2010

Please don't go, I'll eat you up, I love you so.

Okay, so I had to think twice about posting this one. I found it the most endearing moment as a mother, but don't want it to embarrass him when he's older. This one is for our private blog book and to share publicly for now since he's little and can't read yet (nor can most of his friends).

We watched "Where the Wild Things Are" tonight. To be honest, I had a hard time staying awake. Mostly because I was so tired, but it was a little slow to start. The movie definitely had some fun parts, but it was much darker than I had thought it would be. We didn't see it in the theaters because I thought the big Wild Things would be a bit much in a dark theater, but at home he could handle it. He did and he wasn't scared at all except for maybe one or two scenes that got a bit intense. I will say it had a good message for kids that are a bit older (maybe 8+ could get the deeper meaning of anger management, complexity of parenting etc). I really didn't think Zach was paying too much attention to it, but towards the end of the movie he had climbed into my chair with me and we were cuddling. Almost the very end, Max is getting ready to sail away back to his home. "Please don't go, I'll eat you up, I love you so." Carol, the main beloved Wild Thing, comes running at the last minute to say goodbye to Max. They have had a fight and Max doesn't think he's coming. He reaches the edge of the water and Max and Carol share a look that says "It's all good, I still love you even though we fought. You're my buddy." Zach turns his head around and looks at me and I'll be darned if he didn't have little tears in his eyes. Really. It made me tear up. Here is my son becoming emotional for the first time about any story. Reading, TV, movie or otherwise. It touched me so much to see that he "got" the unspoken looks between the characters and the deeper meaning of friendship. Of course, being a boy, he quickly turned away and was embarrassed that I had seen him. The look he gave me though was one of surprise. I don't think he really "knew" why he was crying. He just "knew" that the emotions were there and kind of turned around to check and see what I was doing.
What a cool moment to be a Mom! In the end that's why I wrote about it. What better memory to keep and share than the first time your child showed a complex, almost adult-like emotion.

No comments: