Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Paint the Town Red Week

Last week was a busy week in Pittsburg. We had Paint the Town Red week. Now, to be honest, I don't remember much about Paint the Town Red week last year. I was a little too focused on having getting my house ready to have a baby and getting my contractions to start kicking in. So this year was like the first year for me!
The Ward house did not get into the act until Friday (although there were many other things going on in town prior to Friday). Zach, Dylan and I enjoyed a nice lunch at Ron's in the Cafe with our friends who all wore red and I didn't have one PSU t-shirt to wear. So sad. I wore a worn out old t-shirt that looked more pink than red, but oh well. After lunch, we decided to stop over at the stadium and watch the 3rd graders from all the schools have a balloon release. It was pretty neat to watch and Zach and Dylan liked watching the Jungletron (get it, Jungle, Gorillas, Jumbotron). My little dancing baby started bopping up and down and I didn't even notice the music playing - it was Bon Jovi. He's not particular about what he dances to. It still cracks me up.
Friday night we went to see the movie, Up on the Jungletron with some of our friends. Before the movie, we were able to have pizza and ice cream at our friend Leah's house. It was nice to get to meet up and then carpool over to the movie. We got to sit our blankets out on the field and watch the movie while it turned dark. A great perk to living in a college town. Zach and I were the only ones to go. Craig stayed home with Dylan since he would have been a handful to walk around the stadium with. Also, Craig had his fantasy football draft to pay attention to on Friday. :)

Zach with his new friend, Braeden.
The crowd before the movie - it filled up a lot more.Leah and her little one, Logan
The movie on the Jungletron

I was excited to see the end of Up since we had to leave early from the theater when I took Zach. He got too scared at the end chase scenes. It is such a sweet movie. I believe I will have to own it when it comes out on DVD. I love the talking dogs! I'm easily amused. :)

Saturday we went to the game. It was the first home football game for the Gorillas. We played Central Oklahoma and the Gorillas won. The Ward family went to Jock's Nitch on Saturday morning to get a new t-shirt for Zach and a new t-shirt for me. It was a zoo. Gorillaspirit was in the air!
The whole family went to tailgate. Zach ran around like a crazy man playing football with his friends for about 2 hours before the game. Craig and Zach went in the game and lasted almost to half time. I'd say that's pretty good for a 3 1/2 year old. Dylan and I hung out around the food and tent and people watched. He did really well considering he was tired and I never let him crawl further than about 15 feet. One of the neat tradition that they do here is have the team walk through the tailgating area on their way to the stadium. The kids and adults line up on the path and get high fives from the players as they pass through. Zach thought that was pretty cool and again Dylan started clapping when everyone started to cheer. I didn't get any pictures, but maybe next time I'll be better prepared with my camera.
All in all, it was a fun weekend to be a Gorilla (although we all know I'm still a Hoosier at heart!). :)

No comments: