Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Griswolds Go to Disney (aka - Florida Entry #2)

Look at this optimistic family
dry and planning on a great day
(don't mind that giant storm cloud hanging over Cinderella's castle
)

I think it was decided that maybe I was more excited about my first trip to Disney World than Zach was. Craig and I had never been, so it was a first for all the Wards. I was glad that I waited until I had kids to take, because Zach made the whole trip that much better.
We arrived in Orlando on Sunday afternoon with plans to see Disney World Magic Kingdom on Monday. So Sunday we just spent some time at Downtown Disney shopping and met our Uncle Rich and Aunt Lila on Sunday evening for dinner. Uncle Rich, Aunt Lila and Dylan

And that's when the rain started. We got sprinkled on at Downtown Disney, but the torrential rain started Sunday night. I was so sad we were not going to be able to go to Disney on Monday, but nothing stops the Griswolds when you have a mission
Jill and the Loch Ness Monster made of Legos

The one day whirlwind trip to Magic Kingdom was well worth it. I had a great time and we managed to ride Dumbo, Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Speedway cars, Buzz Lightyear, Monster Inc Laugh Floor, Big Thunder Mountain Roller Coaster and Zach's official first roller coaster ride - Goofy Barnstormer. Zach also managed to get his pic taken with Buzz Lightyear and Mickey and Minnie Mouse. The Disney gods were smiling on us. All of those pics were by chance encounters and did not involve long waits in any lines.

My personal favorite part of the day was the parade. We waited for about 15 mins and got a good spot - luckily the crowds were slim because of all the rain. I positioned Zach right next to the rope and had my video camera going. He got lots of high fives from lots of characters, but the best was the wicked stepmother. She came by and I believe she was trying to stretch out her time because a float had broken down behind her so there was a bit of a gap in the show. She walked over to Zach and in a loud theatrical Wicked Stepmother voice said, "Girls, look at this one. One of you should marry him. And next thing you know, one of them (don't know which one) gave him a HUGE kiss on the cheek. Even better, he immediately took his hand and gave it a big wipe to wipe off the kiss. Luckily I caught it all on camera and as soon as I can figure out how to download it, I'll see if I can cut it down and put it on here.


Disney Ponchos - $8 EACH
Stroller Rental - $12
Disney Tickets - $60
Overpriced Disney Beach Towel - $22
Being proposed to and kissed by the wicked stepsister - pricelessThe Griswolds at the end of the day - and we were still speaking to each other

Thank you Grandad and Grammy for a great trip! Thanks Amanda for your insider tips on a great day at Disney!

1 comment:

Amanda Wells said...

I am behind on reading the blog. I love these pictures, the one of you all is so great!